Mauritius is well known as a tourist destination, but off late, this beautiful island is also evolving fast as an ideal investment destination. Mauritius, located in the Indian Ocean, known as global sugar and textiles exporter have also been the prime location for other businesses for years. The ability of the country to re-emerge itself during the times of turmoil is the key to its economic success so far. Their urge to transform from closed to more open economy and well defined economic policies shows the true spirit of the country’s desire to progress.
The island is moving up the value chain by placing themselves as the ideal location for foreign investment especially for IT and BPO services. Prominent names in the IT/BPO sector such as Microsoft, Infosys, Accenture, Oracle and many others already have their deliver centers in Mauritius. Leading global consultancy firms including Gartner and KPMG have identified Mauritius as the upcoming BPO destination.
What Makes Mauritius favorite BPO destination?
IT/BPO industry in Mauritius grow at a rate of 25% every year contributing a major share to the country’s GDP growth. It is estimated that in 2011, IT/BPO industry contribution to economy was 6.8% and it is forecasted that there will be an increase in the contribution up to 8% by 2015.
The key factors that attract IT/BPO services to Mauritius include:
- Mauritius has a large pool of young and talented workforce. About one-third of the population in the country is below 30 years of age.
- The hospitality nature of the people makes them best suitable for call center operations.
- Mauritius has the highest rate of literacy among other countries in Africa giving them a competitive advantage.
- The people in Mauritius are bilingual. English and French speaking people attract BPO companies from across the world to set up their delivery centers in the country.
- High quality telecommunication technology and infrastructure facilities make the island an ideal destination for foreign investors.
- Cultural proximity and time zone similarity with Europe makes it an ideal destination for BPO services to European clients.
- Unlike other emerging destinations, Mauritius has not reported any case of political instability for the past few years which makes the country suitable for investment.
- The government of Mauritius provides tax incentives and subsidies for those who are investing in the country.
- The government always takes up new initiatives to boost up the growth of BPO industry in the country. Their initiatives like joint public-private sector taskforce help the investors to ease the procedures to set up business in the island.
- Mauritius has always maintained a business-friendly environment and the registration of a new business which can be completed within three days is a testimony to this fact.
Major Players in Mauritius
- Accenture: They have established their call center delivery centers in Mauritius to serve the European customers.
- Infosys: Infosys have set up their business continuity and disaster recovery center in Mauritius.
- IBM: IBM has their IT delivery center in Mauritius.
- Ceridian: Ceridian deliver payroll, IT and finance back office services from their Mauritius delivery center.